Kava is a traditional beverage from the South Pacific Islands that is prepared using the roots of the Kava plant (Piper Methysticum). Kava has been consumed for cultural, social, medicinal and religious purposes across the Pacific for thousands of years. Kava can help promote a relaxed state of body and mind; it has soothing properties that helps ease stress while providing a better sense of happiness and wellbeing.
So with all of these wonderful soothing benefits of drinking Kava-- especially in today's fast-paced, stressed out world-- why isn't it as popular as coffee yet?
The reason Kava isn't sold at every corner cafe yet comes down to two very simple reasons: it is an obscure drink to make and doesn't taste good. Some say it is a very acquired taste but to be honest, you really just learn to cope with the earthy taste in order to experience it's relaxing properties.
We solved the learning curve issue of making Kava last year by supplementing the traditional way of preparing a Kava root beverage with the AluBall - The World's First Kava Maker.
Now we want to help you tackle the taste of Kava so that you don't have to cringe every time you take down a shell of KavaKava root. We will be posting a Kava recipe of the week that can be easily prepared with the AluBall Kava Maker. If you have any suggestions or have your own favorite Kava recipe, you can submit them to us in the comments below.
Kava Root Drink Recipe Of The Week
The Dirty Kava Mojito
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 Tbsp Organic Kava Root Powder
- 2 1/2 Cups Spring Water
- 10 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1/2 Lime, cut into wedges
- 2 Tbsp Organic Cane Sugar or Sugar Alternative (Splenda, Stevia)
- 1/2 Cup Club Soda
- 1/2 Cup Ice Cubes
- Place water and AluBall filled with Kava root powder into your AluBall Kava Maker Bottle. Secure lid on bottle and shake for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Open lid and add the mint leaves and lime wedges. Secure lid and shake for another 30 seconds. This will crush the mint leaves and lime wedges releasing yummy oils and juices.
- Open lid and add your Sugar or Sugar alternative. Secure lid and shake again for a few seconds.
- Open lid and gently stir in Club Soda and Ice. (Do not shake bottle with Club Soda in it as shaking carbonated beverages can cause the lid to pop off)
- Serve in a few Shells/Cups or drink it straight from the bottle.