Not Your Aunty's 'Otai
'Otai is a traditional fruit drink from the Polynesian Islands. Every family has their own variation of this recipe and they all are mouth-watering delicious. We (of course) wanted ours to have a little Kava kick, so this is how you do it:
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp Organic Kava root powder
- 2 Cup Freshly Made Watermelon Juice (About 1/4 of a seedless watermelon )
- 1/4 Cup Crushed Pineapples
- 1/4 Cup Crushed Mangoes
- 1/4 Lime (Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Evaporated Milk or Half n Half
- 2 Tbsp Organic Cane Sugar or Sugar Alternative (Splenda, Stevia)
- 1 Tbsp Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Ice Cubes
- Slice up your seedless watermelon into quarters. Grate a quarter of the watermelon in a large bowl, making sure you leave no large chunks left.
- Carefully pour 2 cups of the now freshly made watermelon juice into your AluBall shaker bottle. (Try to avoid getting any of the smaller watermelon chunks into the bottle at this point. You will add them later.)
- Place AluBall filled with Kava root powder into your AluBall Kava Maker Bottle. Secure lid on bottle and shake for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Open lid and add your sugar or sugar alternative, evaporated milk (or Half n' Half), shredded coconut, grated watermelon, crushed pineapples, and crushed mangoes. Secure lid and shake until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Open lid, add ice cubes and squeeze in your lime juice.
- Secure lid and shake for a few more seconds or until your drink is nice and cold.
- Pour into two Shells/Cups or enjoy it straight from the bottle.